- This event has passed.
Buck Creek Clean Up
August 17, 2019 @ 8:30 am - 12:00 pm
Schrems West Michigan Trout Unlimited, in conjunction with local municipalities, were awarded a $25,000 grant to assess the water quality in the Buck Creek watershed in 2014. Currently Buck Creek is a coldwater resource that is highly threatened because of its urban nature. It is rare to find coldwater in this type of urban setting, which is why Schrems TU and others like the Michigan Department of Natural Resources and Lower Grand River Organization of Watersheds have highlighted Buck Creek as a threatened stream in need of protection.
The grant that was received from The Department of Environmental Quality doesn’t allow for funds to be used for a clean up. Schrems Trout Unlimited and Friends of Buck Creek, in conjunction with the cities of Kentwood, Grandville, Wyoming, as well as our generous sponsors will be hosting a cleanup on August 17th. Please pre register using the link, but walk ins are welcome. Only participants who pre register will receive clean up t-shirts.
– Volunteers arrive at Lemery Park for check-in. Once you are checked in you will be assigned a number and a team to work with for the day. You will receive a map of your section along the creek, t-shirt, gloves and garbage collection bag. Each “team” will have one guide/leader for the day who will help answer any questions and provide guidance to volunteers. Coffee and baked goods provided by Biggby, Steenstra’s, and Marge’s Donut Den.
-Instructions, team photo, and send off of volunteers
11:00am – 12:00pm
– Volunteers meet at Osgood’s Brewing in Grandville where lunch will be provided by Grandville Mayor Steve Maas. (No taxpayer money used).
What to Wear/Bring:
- Comfortable shoes (one’s that you don’t mind getting wet/dirty!)
- Layered clothing long shirt and pants recommended
- Bug Spray
- Reusable Water Bottle filled, we are trying to promote zero impact on the creek.
- Waders (if you have them)
Please call or contact Pete Miller if more information is needed or questions arise (517) 420-4003 [email protected].
A clean and healthy environment is critical to the overall health of our communities. This clean up is just one part of a multi-step process in assessing, improving and conserving Buck Creek. This type of clean up is an active event where volunteers will be walking and exercising as they make a positive impact upon the Buck Creek Watershed. Thank you to the fine sponsors that are making the event possible Accurate Engines, Grandville Mayor Steve Maas, Biggby Coffee, Marge’s Donut Den, Steenstra’s Bakery, and Osgood Brewing.