One of SWMTU’s more popular events in recent years is the State of the Trout event where we get to hear from conservation leaders in Michigan about the health of our trout fisheries.
This year we feature a virtual presentation with Dr. Bryan Burroughs, Executive Director of Michigan Trout Unlimited and Michigan DNR Director Dan Eichinger.
Our speakers covered a lot of topics and here are the highlights …
Dr. Bryan Burroughs
- Overall health of Michigan rivers
- Health of brook and brown trout populations
- Status of steelhead, salmon, and lake trout fisheries
- River changes due to climate change
- Opportunities to improve trout fisheries
- Dowagiac River restoration efforts
- Increase in outdoor activities
- Asian Carp migration prevention
- Dam evaluation task force